Industrial Energy Efficiency
Business: Evanite Fiber Corporation (Corvallis)
Number of Employees: 330
Evanite Fiber Corporation has three manufacturing facilities at
its Corvallis campus: hardboard (wood interior panels), glass
fibers, and battery separator material.
- Faced with an air compressor system that was not performing
well enough, Evanite reconfigured and repaired leaks in the
compressor system. FINANCIAL SAVINGS: $36,000/year in
electric bills, plus an avoided capital cost of $27,000 to
replace the compressor system. RESOURCE SAVINGS: 900,000
- When Evanite closed one if its plants, a purchasing agent
chose to list 34 items needing removal as "available" materials
in the Industrial Materials Exchange (IMEX). Within two months,
Evanite had found users ranging from Portland to New Jersey for
12 of these listings, including various types of plastics and
organic chemicals. FINANCIAL SAVINGS: at least $3,500 in
avoided disposal costs. The market value of materials reused is
Business: Stahlbush Island Farms, Inc.
Number of Employees: 22
Stahlbush Island Farms is a grower and processor of fruits and
vegetables. Most of the company’s customers are large food product
- Water use has been reduced by more than 50%, due to an
innovative system where water is used in three or four different
applications. Water is used to cool hot pumpkin puree and
compressor oil, and to condense ammonia refrigerant. The warmed
water is then used to pre-heat both the boiler and pumpkins.
Wastewater from pumpkin and equipment washing is applied to
fields for irrigation.
- Timers were installed on fan motors in freezers so that fans
don’t run all of the time. FINANCIAL SAVINGS:
$4,500/year. RESOURCE SAVINGS: 133,000 kWh/year.
- As targeted motors wear out, they are replaced with
high-efficiency motors. FINANCIAL SAVINGS: when fully
implemented, this will save $2,300/year in electric bills.
RESOURCE SAVINGS: 50,000 kWh/year.
- Only "natural" (uncolored) five gallon HDPE plastic pails
are used. These pails are easier for customers to recycle.
- Ammonia compressor head pressure and boiler pressure have
been adjusted to conserve energy.
- The farm composts food scraps and is experimenting with
using food scraps as cattle feed.
- Some bulk products are shipped in reconditioned drums.
- Corrugated cardboard boxes and office paper are recycled.