Business: Alcan Cable (Roseburg)
Number of Employees: 150
- Alcan Cable works with customers to reduce the amount of
packaging material required. For example, Alcan Cable no longer
wraps certain products in plastic wrap prior to shipment.
- Gaylord containers and pallets are reused or sold for reuse.
- Alcan Cable recycles office paper, newsprint, and cardboard,
and virtually 100% of the 2 million pounds of aluminum scrap
produced each year. The company recently began recycling 26 tons
per year of plastic scrap resulting from insulation coating
around the cable.
Business: Cameron Graphics (Beaverton)
Number of Employees: 7
Cameron Graphics prints materials for customers in the Portland
area. Emphasizing employee training in waste prevention and
efficiency measures has decreased purchasing costs five percent and
increased salable product from 90-99% of the average print job.
- The amount of paper allocated to each print job was
gradually reduced and employees were challenged to identify
methods to maintain quality output while using less paper.
- Opportunities for waste reduction are discussed and tracked
at quarterly review meetings.
- Previously discarded margin waste paper is now reused during
job setup prior to recycling.
- During job setup, a density reading is used to measure the
correct quantity of ink applied to the paper. Meter readings are
recorded and used to efficiently duplicate job setup, saving
time, paper and ink.
- Case study exists, call Metro, 503-234-3000.
Business: Evanite Fiber Corporation (Corvallis)
Number of Employees: 330
Evanite Fiber Corporation has three manufacturing facilities at
its Corvallis campus: hardboard (wood interior panels), glass
fibers, and battery separator material.
- Faced with an air compressor system that was not performing
well enough, Evanite reconfigured and repaired leaks in the
compressor system. FINANCIAL SAVINGS: $36,000/year in
electric bills, plus an avoided capital cost of $27,000 to
replace the compressor system. RESOURCE SAVINGS: 900,000
- When Evanite closed one if its plants, a purchasing agent
chose to list 34 items needing removal as "available" materials
in the Industrial Materials Exchange (IMEX). Within two months,
Evanite had found users ranging from Portland to New Jersey for
12 of these listings, including various types of plastics and
organic chemicals. FINANCIAL SAVINGS: at least $3,500 in
avoided disposal costs. The market value of materials reused is
Business: Fred Meyer Baking Plant (Clackamas)
Number of Employees: unknown
- Identified and corrected water leaks and drips totaling
709,000 gallons per year. FINANCIAL SAVINGS: $3,280/year.
RESOURCE SAVINGS: 1,772 therms (natural gas) and 709,000
- Changed the packing procedure for bear claws and other
pastries. Previously, packing staff had not always had enough
time to switch packaging types when production shifted from one
product to another. For example, at the end of a batch of bear
claws, staff would need to move the packaged bear claws out of
the packing area and prepare to package the next product.
Insufficient time to make the switch meant that the last
products in any given batch were often trashed. By increasing
the time between product lines (at the packing end) by three
minutes, this problem was largely eliminated. RESOURCE
SAVINGS: 12,480 pounds/year.
Business: Me and Company (Winston)
Number of Employees: 2
Me and Company is a stained glass studio, including retail sales
of stained glass supplies and space for classes and workshops.
- All scrap glass generated in the studio is saved for use in
smaller projects or donated to the art teacher at Douglas High
School for student projects.
- Broken window glass is accepted from the public for use in
teaching students how to cut glass.
- Recovering lead from leaded stained glass projects and waste
solder is a skill taught to classes.
- Polystyrene packing peanuts, office paper, and paper towels
used to clean glass pieces are reused.
- Work tables are made from scrap lumber or old kitchen
- Scrap glass bins are old kitchen cabinet drawers.
- Cardboard, yard waste, and beverage containers are also